Fire on the Mountain: Reinvigorating Legislative Measures to Quench the Flame of Illicit Drug Use in South Africa
How to Cite
South African societies have been characterized by the prolific incidence of illicit drug use in recent times. The paper attempts to examine the legislations implemented on the use of illicit drugs in South Africa. The study adopts a review of the literature to identify and describe the most common illicit drugs used around South Africa communities, placing emphasis on the policies developed by the South African government in combating these situations. The research follows a critical discussion on the issues associated with drug use, its causes, as well as its effects on humans and the environment. The study recommends relevant initiatives to combat all intricacies associated with drug use within the country. This approach will be appropriate in facilitating a clear-cut understanding of the possible remedies to quench the burning flame of illicit drug use across a broad range of South African communities.
- Blokland, Talja, and Vojin Šerbedžija. 2020. "Feeling Safe, Defining Crime and Urban Youth in Berlin’s Inner City: An Exploration of the Construction of ‘Unsafety’and ‘Youth’as Symbolic Violence." In Inequality and Uncertainty, pp. 161-183. Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore.
- Hall, Brittany and Christiaan Bezuidenhout. 2019. "Exploring the modus operandi of male serial child rapists in South Africa." Child Abuse Research in South Africa 20 (2) : 30-44.
- National Drug Master Plan. 2013-2017. Government Gazette: Department of Social Development.
- Drug and Drug Trafficking Act.1992. Government Gazette. 329,(1),41-43.
- Kraft, Michael E. and Scott R. Furlong. 2020. Public policy: Politics, analysis, and alternatives. Cq Press.
- Ghodse, Hamid. 2016. International drug control into the 21st century. Routledge.
- Heywood, Colin. 2017. A history of childhood. John Wiley & Sons.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. 2002. Referencing: Country Profile on Drugs and Crime (Profile). Regional Office for Southern Africa.
- Ettang, Dorcas and Nthatuwa Leeke. 2019. "Africa’s Emerging Giants and the Drug Scourge: Exploring a Nigeria-South African Bilateral Partnership." In Nigeria-South Africa Relations and Regional Hegemonic Competence, pp. 129-144. Springer, Cham.
- Kalunta-Crumpton, Anita. 2016. Pan-African issues in drugs and drug control: An international perspective. Routledge.
- Kalsi, H. 2015. Substance Abuse Amongst High School and College Students. Family Medicine Clerkship Students Projects. Book 45 [Document on the Internet. c2015 [Cited 2015 Apr 14]. Available from http:// schoolarwork.uvm.edu/fmclerk/45.201
- Tshitangano, Takalani G., and Oni H. Tosin. 2016. "Substance use amongst secondary school students in a rural setting in South Africa: Prevalence and possible contributing factors." African journal of primary health care & family medicine 8 (2): 1-6.
- Stevanovic D, Atilola O, Balhara. 2015. The Relationships Between Alcohol/Drug Use and Quality of Life Amongst Adolescents: An International, Cross-Sectional Study. J Child Adoles Subst. 2015; 24:177-185-http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1067828x.2013.773864
- Moodley, S.V, Matjila, M.J, and Moosa M.H. 2012. Epidemiology of Substance Use Among Seconary School Learners in Atteridgeville, Gauteng. S Afr J psychiatry,18(1):2-7.
- Thomson, K. 2013. Overview of the Drug Abuse Problem in South Africa. [Document on the Internet]. C2013 [Cited 2015 April 29]. Available from:http://www.harmonygroup.co.za/drugs/overview-of-the-drug-abuse-problem-in-South-Africa.
- Jordan, P. 2015. Drug Abuse Is Damaging South Africa’s Youth Trends [Document on the Internet] c2013 [Cited 2015 April 30]. Available from http:// www.fanews .co.za/Article/ healthcare/6/general/ 1124/drug-abuse is Damaging-South Africa-5-youth/13795.
- Francis, Joel Msafiri, Bronwyn Myers, Sebenzile Nkosi, Petal Petersen Williams, Tara Carney, Carl Lombard, Elmarie Nel, and Neo Morojele. 2019. "The prevalence of religiosity and association between religiosity and alcohol use, other drug use, and risky sexual behaviours among grade 8-10 learners in Western Cape, South Africa." PloS one 14(2).
- Isaac, Rummage. 2019. "Factors associated with illegal drug use in South Africa: A qualitative literature review."
- Mawere, Munyaradzi. 2019. "Bound together in the digital era: Poverty, migration and human trafficking." Mobile Africa: Human Trafficking and the Digital Divide : 63.
- Gopal,N. and Marimuthu, B. 2014. Gatekeeping: An Obstacle To Criminological Research With Indian Youth Users In Chatsworth, KwaZulu-Natal- Acta Criminologica: Research and Application In Criminology and Criminal Justice: Special Edition 2:27-35.2014 Available from Sabinet Online: http://hdl.handle.net/10414/11963
- United Nations World Drug Report. 2014 April 29. Available from: http://www.unodc.org/documents/data/World_Drug_Report_2011_ebook.pd.
- Kresina, T.F., Bruce, R.D. and Mulvey, K.P. 2013. Evidence-Based Prevention Interventions for People Who Use Illicit Drugs. Advances in Preventive Medicine. 2013: 1-2. Avaliable at: http//dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/360957.
- Mayo Clinic. 2015. Drug Addiction 4th Ed. Health book.
- Gilbert J.N. 2007. Criminal Investigations 7th Ed. New Jersey. Prentice Hall (Chapter 10) (Accessed 16 September 2016).
- Dahlgren, M. Kathryn, Kelly A. Sagar, Rosemary T. Smith, Ashley M. Lambros, Madeline K. Kuppe, and Staci A. Gruber. 2020. "Recreational cannabis use impairs driving performance in the absence of acute intoxication." Drug and Alcohol Dependence : 107771.
- Stephens, Torrance T., Darius Gardner, Keena Jones, Sibusiso Sifunda, Ronald Braithwaite, and Selina E. Smith. 2016. "Correlates of Mandrax use and condom beliefs in preventing sexually transmitted infections among a cohort of South African prison inmates." International health 8 (2): 142-147.
- Meade, Christina S., Ryan P. Bell, Sheri L. Towe, and Shana A. Hall. 2020."Cocaine-related alterations in fronto-parietal gray matter volume correlate with trait and behavioral impulsivity." Drug and Alcohol Dependence 20 (6) : 107757.
- Bloom, R. 1995. Toohey’s Medicine. London: Harcourt Publishers limited.
- Correia, Caroline, Pascal Romieu, Mary C. Olmstead, and Katia Befort. 2020. "Can cocaine-induced neuroinflammation explain maladaptive cocaine-associated memories?." Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews.
- Carney, Tara, Felicia A. Browne, Bronwyn Myers, Tracy L. Kline, Brittni Howard, and Wendee M. Wechsberg. 2019. "Adolescent female school dropouts who use drugs and engage in risky sex: Effects of a brief pilot intervention in Cape Town, South Africa." AIDS care 31 (1): 77-84.
- South Africa. 2015. Western Cape. Education Department. Information About the Revised National Curriculum Statement Outcomes and Assessment Standards [Document on the Internet]. C2013 [Cited 2015 May1] Available from: Western Cape.gov.za/service/information-about revised-national-curriculum-statement-outcomes and assessment-standards.
- Bowles, Nicole P., Maya X. Herzig, and Steven A. Shea. 2017. "Recent legalization of cannabis use: effects on sleep, health, and workplace safety." Nature and science of sleep 9 : 249.
- Wood, Emily F., Dan Werb, Leo Beletsky, Gudelia Rangel, Jazmine Cuevas Mota, Richard S. Garfein, Steffanie A. Strathdee, and Karla D. Wagner. 2017. "Differential experiences of Mexican policing by people who inject drugs residing in Tijuana and San Diego." International Journal of Drug Policy 41 : 132-139.
- Myles, Hannah, Nicholas Myles, and Matthew Large. 2016. "Cannabis use in first episode psychosis: Meta-analysis of prevalence, and the time course of initiation and continued use." Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 50(3): 208-219.
- Burke, R,. 2005. An Introduction to Criminological Theory. 2nd edition. Callompton, Devon: Willan.
- Brown, Esbensen, and Geis. 2001. Criminology. Explaining Crime and Its Context. 4th edition. Cincinnati, OH: Anderson.
- Bartollas, C. 2006. Juvernile Delinquency. 7th edition. Boston, Ma: Pearson.
- Joubert, Joubert and Ovens. Study Guide. 2009. The Explanation of Crime: Only Study Guide for (CMY 301H). South Africa: University of South Africa.
- Fattah, E, A. 1997. Criminology: Past, Present and Future- a critical overview. London: Macmillan.
- Agnew, Robert. 2006. Pressured Info Crime: An Overview of General Strain Theory. Los Angeles, California: Roxbury Publishing Company.
- Agnew, Robert. 2001. Building on The Foundation of General Strain Theory: Specifying The Types of Strain Most Likely to Lead to Crime and Delinquency. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 38:319-361.
- Agnew, R, K. 1992. Foundation for A General Strain Theory of Crime and Delinquency. Criminology. 30: 47-86
- Agnew, R, K. 1999. A General Strain Theory of Community Differences in Crime Rates. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency .36:123-155.
- Merton, Robert. 1968. Social Theory and Social Structure. New Youth: Free Press.
- Matsueda, Ross L. 1988. "The current state of differential association theory." Crime & Delinquency 34 (3): 277-306.
- Farrington, David P. 2017. "A general age-graded theory of crime: Lessons learned and the future of life-course criminology." In Integrated developmental and life-course theories of offending, pp. 175-192. Routledge.
- Walters, Glenn D., Robert D. Morgan, and Faith Scanlon. 2019. "The moderating effect of criminal thinking on certainty of apprehension in decisions to engage in antisocial behavior: Replication and extension." Journal of forensic sciences 64 (3): 805-813.
- Maree, A. 2008. Criminogenic Risk Factors for Youth Offenders.In Bezuidenhout,C.& Joubert,S.(Eds) Child And Youth Misbehaviour In South Africa: a holistic approach. Van Schaik Publishers: Pretoria.
- Akers, Ronald L., and Gary F. Jensen. 2017. "The empirical status of social learning theory of crime and deviance: The past, present, and future." In Taking stock, pp. 37-76. Routledge.
- Lettier, D.J, Sayer, M and Pearson, H.W. 1980. “NIDA Research Methodology 30”. Chapter 0ne in Theoretical Perspectives and Overviews (p.8) Washington, D.C: Government Printing Office. 1980
- Steenkamp, L. 2004 December 18. Cocaine Killed Brenda Fassie’. News24, P1