(Deuteronomy 14:22-29) Re-defining Tithing in Zimbabwean Pentecostal Churches: A Critical Appraisal
- Poor and widows,
- Gospel and goldspel
Copyright (c) 2020 IOR Press
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The emphasis on tithing in modern day Zimbabwean Pentecostal churches is now of a major concern. This study unravels tithing in the selected churches to see how the doctrine is implemented. It follows (Deuteronomy 14: 22-29) which prescribes how tithing should be done. However, Pentecostal churches seem to take a different approach altogether which promotes tithing as a benefit for the pastors and other church leaders. Qualitative research methodology was used to gather the data in the study. Interviews, document analysis and observations were used. Findings reveal that some pastors are mis-appropriating tithes for their own benefit at the expense of other vulnerable members of the church. It thus recommends that a new of handling tithes be implemented that tries to balance off with every stakeholder.
- Prince, D., (1995), God’s plan for your money, Derek Prince Ministries-International: New Kensington.
- Mediel Hove, Vincent Chenzi, (2017), Prophets of Doom’: The Zimbabwean Christian Community and Contemporary Politics, Insigne on Africa, 9,173-195.
- Chitando. E., Prophets, Profits and Protests. In Chitando. E, Gunda. M.R., and Kugler. J., (Eds) 2013. Prophets, Profits and the Bible in Zimbabwe, University of Bamberg Press: Bamberg.
- Pashapa, N., (2011). Dailynews. ‘Gospel or goldspel?’28 May 2011.
- Mwase, E., (2012). The Sunday Mail- In Depth. ‘Gospel of prosperity: The in-thing’ January 29-4 February
- Vera, N and Okoro, C., (2005). Letter from King Leopold II of Belgium to colonial missionaries 1883. http://allafrica.com/stories/20051006 0035.html.
- Sibanda, M., Moyana. H., and Gumbo. S.D., (2005). The African Heritage: History for Junior Secondary Schools Book 1 Revised. ZPH Publishers (PVT) LTD. Harare.
- Kikwala Study Group (1994). Qualitative Research Methods: Teaching Materials from a workshop. World Health Organisation: Canada.
- Nehanda Radio. (2012). Prophet Uebert Angel’s $10 000 shirt. https://nehandaradio.com
- Guti, E.H., (1995). Small Groups Home Bible Study. EGEA Christian Literature Publications: Harare