Regulatory Compliance and Private Education Provision in South Africa: Boon or a Bane?
- Private higher education,
- South Africa,
Copyright (c) 2020 Fuller L, Govender K
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This paper explores the impact of certain regulations on private higher education (PHEI) provision and delivery in South Africa. By scrutinizing relevant legislation and policies, the researchers demonstrate that although various government policy documents, inter-alia, the National Development Plan-2030, allude to the important role of private higher education providers in South Africa, the various polices and legislation do not seem to create a very conducive and enabling climate. Ranging from funding to accreditation, the perception among private HE providers is that there is little support for PHEIs.
- Council on Higher Education. Recognition of Prior Learning, Credit Accumulation and Transfer and Assessment. August 2016. 1 December 2019.<https://www.che.ac.za/sites/default/files/RPL-CAT%20Assessment%20Policy%20Document.pdf>.
- —. “Recognition of Prior Learning, Credit Accumulation and Transfer, and Assessment.” August 2016. Council on Higher Education.<http://www.che.ac.za/sites/default/files/RPL-CAT%20Assessment%20Policy%20Document.pdf>.
- Department of Higher Education. Recognition Of Prior Learning (Rpl) Coordination Policy. 2016. 1 December 2019.<http://www.dhet.gov.za/System%20Planning%20and%20Monitoring%20Policies/Recognition%20of%20Prio%20Learning%20RPL%20coordination%20Policy.pdf>.
- Ministrial Task Team. “MINISTERIAL TASK TEAM ON A NATIONAL.” January 2013. 1 December 2019.<http://www.dhet.gov.za/ResearchNew/37.%20Recognition%20of%20prior%20learning.pdf>.
- SAQA. “What is a learnership.” n.d. 24 November 2019. <http://www.saqa.org.za/docs/webcontent/2014/web0310.html>.
- Stander, Elmarie and Herman Chaya. “Barriers and challenges private higher education institutions face in the management of quality assurance in South Africa.” 2017. 1 December 2019. <https://www.journals.ac.za/index.php/sajhe/article/view/1481>.
- University of Cape Town. Recognition of Prior Learning. n.d. 1 December 2019. <https://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/rpl>.