Marketing agility and E-Commerce agility in the light of COVID-19 pandemic: A study with reference to fast fashion brands
Copyright (c) 2020 Anand Shankar Raja M, Shenbagam Kanappan
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The purpose of this article is to explore the present COVID-19 crisis, which has affected fast-fashion. Global fast-fashion consumers have lost hope to revamp their wardrobe due to the broken supply chain network and the fear to visit the stores for purchase. The research intends to provide a detailed framework for the fast-fashion brands to strategically plan for post-COVID-19 business normality leading to sustainability. For the development of the model, careful investigation of the articles was carried out. This research is purely qualitative in nature depending on secondary data.In the post-COVID-19, the e-commerce industry will boom and those fast-fashion brands, which are already in the e-commerce platform, have to know the Percentage of Concentration (POC) in which they have to concentrate so that there are no wastages and spillover effects. Hence, marketing agility and e-commerce agility becomes the foundation for fast-fashion brands if it has to recapture its leadership position in the post COVID-19 pandemic. Fast-fashions have to follow the art of rethinking to replan and reimplement new strategies to revamp the business.
- Accenture. (2020). Outmaneuver uncertainty: Navigating the human and business impact of Covid-19. Retrieved from White paper website: https://www.accenture.com/in-en/about/company/coronavirus-business-economic-impact
- Akram, H., & Khan, A. U. (2020). E-commerce trends during COVID-19 Pandemic E-commerce trends during COVID-19 Pandemic. (July), 0–4.
- Arora, A., Christiani, P., Dreischmeier, R., Libarikian, A., & Yegoryan, H. (2020). Building an e-commerce business : Lessons on moving fast. McKinsey Digital, (April). Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/mckinsey-digital/our-insights/building-an-e-commerce-business-lessons-on-moving-fast
- Auer, R., Cornelli, G., & Frost, J. (2020). BIS Bulletin payments. (3).
- Bagalkot, M. S. (2019). SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING AND ITS INFLUENCE ON MILLENNIALS ’ BUYING. (April).
- Balram, S. (2020a). Covid-19 Impact: Fashion brands push spring-summer clothing till October to clear inventory.
- Balram, S. (2020b). COVID-19 IMPACT: Fashion brands push spring-summer clothing till October to clear inventory. Retrieved from https://retail.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/apparel-fashion/apparel/covid-19-impact-fashion-brands-push-spring-summer-clothing-till-october-to-clear-inventory/75203267
- Blair Sheppard, Daria Zarubina, A. J. (2020). Adapting to a new world: Facing the challenges of the post-COVID-19 landscape. Retrieved from PWC White paper website: https://www.strategy-business.com/article/Adapting-to-a-new-world?gko=5b5d0
- Borle, S., Boatwright, P., Kadane, J. B., Nunes, J. C., & Shmueli, G. (2005). The effect of product assortment changes on customer retention. Marketing Science. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1050.0121
- Broniarczyk, S. M. (2015). Product Assortment. In Handbook of Consumer Psychology. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203809570.ch30
- Categories, A. (2020). COVID-19 will permanently change e-commerce in Denmark. (March), 2–4.
- Chaturvedi, D. S., & Gupta, D. S. (2018). Effect of Social Media on Online Shopping Behaviour of Apparels in Jaipur City- an Analytical Review. SSRN Electronic Journal, (March). https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3204970
- Chernev, A. (2011). Product assortment and consumer choice: An interdisciplinary review. Foundations and Trends in Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1561/1700000030
- Chu, S. C., Kamal, S., & Kim, Y. (2013). Understanding consumers’ responses toward social media advertising and purchase intention toward luxury products. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2013.790709
- Čiarnienė, R., & Vienažindienė, M. (2014). Agility and Responsiveness Managing Fashion Supply Chain. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, 1012–1019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.09.113
- Collins, J., & Porras, J. (1996). Building your company’s vision. Harvard Business Review.
- COVID-19 and the Indian consumer. (n.d.).
- Dessart, L., Veloutsou, C., & Morgan-Thomas, A. (2015). Consumer engagement in online brand communities: A social media perspective. Journal of Product and Brand Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBM-06-2014-0635
- Distribution, A. (2020). What ’ s now and next in China ’ s e-commerce sector : (March).
- Dr Anand Shankar Raja M. (2020). “THE COVID-19 EPIDEMIC” FEAR AND GREED IN MARKETING & CONSUMPTION? Medium.Com. Retrieved from https://medium.com/the-covid-19-epidemic-fear-and-greed-in-marketing/the-covid-19-epidemic-fear-and-greed-in-marketing-consumption-a9a44072fa07
- Dublin. (2020). COVID-19 Impact on e-Commerce & Online Payments, Worldwide, 2020 - Online Shopper Penetration Increases During the Pandemic. Retrieved from https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/05/29/2040716/0/en/COVID-19-Impact-on-e-Commerce-Online-Payments-Worldwide-2020-Online-Shopper-Penetration-Increases-During-the-Pandemic.html
- Government, O. access. (2020). Impacts of COVID-19 on the fashion industry. Retrieved from https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/covid-19-fashion-industry/89851/
- Grashuis, J., Skevas, T., & Segovia, M. S. (2020). Grocery shopping preferences during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(13). https://doi.org/10.3390/su12135369
- Gregg, B., Tapadia, P., Esber, D., Esber, D., & Lee, D. (2016). Discussions on digital: How large and small companies build a digital culture | McKinsey & Company. (October). Retrieved from http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/digital-mckinsey/our-insights/discussions-on-digital-how-large-and-small-companies-build-a-digital-culture
- Hasanat, M. W., Hoque, A., Shikha, F. A., Anwar, M., Abdul Hamid, A. B., & Hon Tat, H. (2020). The Impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) on E-Business in Malaysia. Asian Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies.
- Haughey, B. D. (2010). Pareto Analysis Step by Step. Project Smart 2000-2010. All Rights Reserved.
- Helal, G., Ozuem, W., & Lancaster, G. (2018). Social media brand perceptions of millennials. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-03-2018-0066
- Ierace, A. (2020). Covid and The Ugly Side of Fast-Fashion. Retrieved from https://nowfashion.com/covid-and-the-ugly-side-of-fast-fashion-29731
- Ivanov, D. (2020). Viable supply chain model: integrating agility, resilience and sustainability perspectives—lessons from and thinking beyond the COVID-19 pandemic. Annals of Operations Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-020-03640-6
- Kantar Indonesia. (2020). COVID19 Impact on Indonesian Attitude and Behaviors : Learning for Brands.
- Kassymbayeva, A. (2017). The Impact of Spokes-Characters on Customer Loyalty. International Journal of Business and Management, 12(7), 162. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v12n7p162
- Khalifa, M., & Liu, V. (2007). Online consumer retention: Contingent effects of online shopping habit and online shopping experience. European Journal of Information Systems. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.ejis.3000711
- Lin, J., Li, L., Luo, X. (Robert), & Benitez, J. (2020). How do agribusinesses thrive through complexity? The pivotal role of e-commerce capability and business agility. Decision Support Systems, 135(June), 113342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2020.113342
- Mar, N. (2020). The rise of e-commerce and the cashless society. (March).
- Mohebbi, B. (2014). The art of packaging: An investigation into the role of color in packaging, marketing, and branding. International Journal of Organizational Leadership, 3(2), 92–102. https://doi.org/10.33844/ijol.2014.60248
- Mohr, I. (2013). The Impact of Social Media on the Fashion Industry. Journal of Applied Business and Economics.
- Nugroho, M. B. (2013). Summary for Policymakers, Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, 53(9), 1689–1699. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Paul, S. Y., Devi, S. S., & Teh, C. G. (2012). Impact of late payment on Firms’ profitability: Empirical evidence from Malaysia. Pacific Basin Finance Journal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pacfin.2012.03.004
- Prescott, A. (2020). Is Social Media changing the fast fashion industry? Retrieved from https://knaptonwright.co.uk/social-media-and-fast-fashion/
- PWC Global. (2020). Beyond COVID-19: Five key strategic priorities for a post-crisis world. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/industries/financial-services/publications/beyond-covid-19.html
- Rahmanan, A. (2020). Right from the basic day-to-day grocery items to the posh expensive spending, every single activity has been disrupted due to COVID-19 causing damage for the consumers and the business units. BBC. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200707-how-covid-19-has-changed-grocery-shopping
- Rao, M. J., & Moorthy, S. (2020). Purakala Analysis on Consumers Online Buying Behavior of Essentials during COVID 19 in Central Suburbs of Mumbai. Purakala.Com.
- Rohm, A. J., & Swaminathan, V. (2004). A typology of online shoppers based on shopping motivations. Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00351-X
- Sarah Davis & Lauren. (2020). How Coronavirus Is Impacting Ecommerce. Retrieved from ROI Revolution website: https://www.roirevolution.com/blog/2020/07/coronavirus-and-ecommerce/
- Sinha, P. (2002). Creativity in fashion. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management.
- Team, C. (2020). How retailers can manage and recover from COVID-19 While Asia is moving towards recovery , the impact of the COVID-19 crisis arrives in European and American retail.
- The World Bank. (2020). The Global Economic Outlook During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Changed World. Retrieved from The World Bank website: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2020/06/08/the-global-economic-outlook-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-a-changed-world
- Thornton, G. (2021). COVID-19 : E-commerce to pave way for revival of retail sector in India. (July 2020), 1–6.
- Torero Cullen, M. (2020). Coronavirus Food Supply Chain Under Strain What to do? (March), 1–39. Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/3/ca8308en/ca8308en.pdf
- TradeGala. (2020). Post-COVID-19: Slowing Down Fast Fashion and the Retail Sector. Retrieved from https://www.globaltrademag.com/post-covid-19-slowing-down-fast-fashion-and-the-retail-sector/
- Ungerer, C., Portugal, A., Molinuevo, M., & Rovo, N. (2020). Recommendations to Leverage E-Commerce During the COVID-19 Crisis. Recommendations to Leverage E-Commerce During the COVID-19 Crisis, 1, 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1596/33750
- Unglesbee, B., Howland, D., & Vembar, K. (2020). The Impact of the coronavirus on Retail. RetailDive, (June), 1–8. Retrieved from https://www.appannie.com/en/insights/market-data/coronavirus-impact-mobile-economy/
- Weathering the economic impacts of Coronavirus : How can retailers / consumer goods companies turn crisis into opportunities ? (2020). 1–9.
- Wolfinbarger, M., & Gilly, M. C. (2001). Shopping online for freedom, control, and fun. California Management Review. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166074
- Yankova, I., & Ozuem, W. (2014). Social media and its implications for marketing communications. In Computer-Mediated Marketing Strategies: Social Media and Online Brand Communities. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-4666-6595-8.ch011
- Zealand, N. (2020). Consumer Spending Tracker for Measured Channels.
- Zhou, Y. M., & Wan, X. (2017). Product variety and vertical integration. Strategic Management Journal. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2540