Exploring Novice Thai EFL Lecturers’ Perceptions of Intercultural Communication Competence
- Intercultural communication competence,
- EFL Teachers,
- English Language Teaching
Copyright (c) 2019 IOR Press
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
With the rapid changes of world population, people are likely to come into contact with others with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Accordingly, Thai graduates are often required to have intercultural communication skills. The skills are parts of professional communication skills that the students should be acquired so as to respond to employers’ demand. As such, institutions are placing more consideration on intercultural communication competence (ICC). This study, therefore, aims to: 1) investigate teachers’ perceptions of ICC; and 2) investigate how teachers integrated ICC into their classes/lessons. Six novice EFL teachers from Thai universities were interviewed. Then, the interview data was transcribed and grouped into themes. According to the findings, overall, the participants have various understanding of ICC. For the ICC’s integration, participants’ answers can be categorized into five main groups, which are: 1) intercultural attitudes, 2) knowledge, 3) skills of interpreting and relating, 4) skills of discovery and interaction, and 5) critical cultural awareness. This study shows the teachers’ perceptions of ICC and how they could integrate ICC in classes. The results also reveal that the teachers are willing to intercorporate activities regarding ICC into their teaching contexts. Pedagogical implications of this study are proposed. On the basis of these findings, the pedagogical implications and suggestions are included in this paper.
- S. Songwanich, (2017), Chinese expat community swells in Thailand, The Nation. Retrieved from http://www.nationmultimedia.com
- P. Vapattanawong, (2015) (Foreigners in Thailand). Retrieved from http://www.ms.ipsr.mahidol.ac.th/ConferenceXI/Download/Presentation/2558-12-Patama.pdf
- A. Diamond, L. Walkley, P. Forbes, T. Hughes and J. Sheen. (2011). Global Graduates into Global Leaders. Retrieved from http://www.ncub.co.uk/reports/global-graduates-into-global-leaders.html
- J.N. Martin, & T.K. Nakayama, (2010), Intercultural communication in contexts. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- J.S. Allwood, (1976), Linguistic communication as action and cooperation, Monographs in Linguistics 2. Göteborg: Dept. of Linguistics, University of Göteborg.
- M. Byram, (1997), Teaching and assessing intercultural communicative competence. Clevedon, UK: Multicultural Matters.
- D.K. Deardorff, Internationalization: In Search of Intercultural Competence, International Educator, 13 (2004) 13-15.
- M. Byram, B. Gribkova, & H. Starkey, (2002), Developing the Intercultural Dimension in Language Teaching: A Practical Introduction for Teachers. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- A. Müller-Hartmann, & M.S. Ditfurth, (2016), Introduction to English language teaching, Stuttgart: Klett Lerntraining.
- Z. Dörnyei, (2007), Research methods in applied linguistics, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- W.B. Gudykunst, (2002), Issues in cross- cultural communication research. In W.B. Gudykunst and B. Mody (Eds.). Handbook of international and intercultural communication (2nd ed., pp. 165-177). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- A. Klimczak-Pawlak, (2014), Towards the Pragmatic Core of English for European
- Communication; : The Speech Act of Apologising in Selected Euro-Englishes, ISBN: 978-3-319-03557-4, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-03557-4
- B.H. Spitzberg, A Model of Intercultural Communication Competence, Intercultural communication: A reader 9 (2009) 379-391.
- A.K. Moeller, and K. Nugent, (2014), Building intercultural competence in the language classroom. Lincoln, NE: Faculty Publications: Department of Teaching, Learning and Teacher Education @University of Nebraska - Lincoln.
- G. M. Garcia-Perez, (2017), Promoting intercultural communication competencies in higher education. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- C. Alptekin, Towards intercultural communicative competence in ELT, ELT Journal, 56 (2002) 57- 64.
- M. Porto, Integrating the teaching of language and culture, IATEFL Newsletter 132 (1996) 14–15.