Productive Vocabulary Knowledge of ESL Learners
- ESL Learners,
- Vocab Profile
Copyright (c) 2018 IOR Press
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The paper seeks to investigate the level of productive knowledge of ESL learners, the writing quality and the relationship between the vocabulary knowledge and the writing quality. 150 final year students of English language in a university in Nigeria were randomly selected as respondents. The respondents were asked to write an essay of 300 words within one hour. The essays were typed into Vocab Profiler of Cobb (2002) and analyzed the Lexical Frequency Profile of the respondents. The essays were also assessed by independent examiners using a standard rubric. The findings reveal that the level of productive vocabulary knowledge of the respondents is limited. The writing quality of the majority of the respondent is fair and there is a significant correlation between vocabulary and the witting quality of the subjects. The researchers posit that productive vocabulary is the predictor of writing quality and recommend various techniques through which teaching and learning of vocabulary can be improved.
- G.G. Astika, Analytical assessment of foreign students’ writing, RELC Journal, 24 (1993) 61-72.
- J. Bauman, B. Culligan, General Service List. [Online]. 20 Feb. 1995. Available: http://plaza3.mbn.or.jp/%20bauman/gsl.html.
- D. Beglar, A. Hunt, Revising and validating the 2000 word level and university word level vocabulary tests, Language Testing, 16 (1999).
- C.A. Chapelle, Construct definition and validity inquiry in SLA research, In Bachman,
- L.F. Bachman, Interfaces between second language acquisition and language testing research, (1998), Cambridge University Press.
- T. Cobb, (2002). VocabProfile program [computer software. Available from http://www.lextutor.ca/vp/.
- Coxhead, A New Academic Word List, TESOL quarterly, 34 (2000) 213 – 238.
- J.W. Creswell, Educational Research: Planning. Conducting and Evaluating Qualitative and Quantitative Research upper saddle river N. J. Pearson Education (4th edition), (2012).
- S. Darus, N. Subramania, Error Analysis of the Written English Essay of Secondary School Students in Malaysia: a Case Study, European Journal of Social Sciences, 8 (2009) 483 – 495.
- S.R. Douglas, Non-Native English Speaking Studies at University: Lexical Richness and Academic Success, University of Calgary (2010).
- R. Ellis, the Study of Second Language Acquisition, (2012), Oxford University Press India.
- C.A. Engber, The relationship of lexical proficiency to the quality of ESL compositions, Journal of Second Language Writing,Elsevier, 4 (1995) 139-155.
- N. Ghabool, Investigating Malaysian ESL Writing Problems on Convention, Punctuation and Language Use at Secondary School Level, Journal of Studies in Education, 2 (2012) 130 – 143.
- B. Henriksen, Three dimensions of vocabulary development, Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 21 (1999) 303–317.
- N. Kaur, N.H. Othman, M.K.K. Abdullah, Lexical competence among tertiary students: teacher-student perspectives, The English Teacher, 37 (2008) 90-104.
- S.Y. Kim, Y.S. Ryoo, Korean College Students’ Vocabulary Progress as Predictors of English Reading and Writing Proficiency, Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning, 12 (2009) 93 – 115.
- D. Larsen-Freeman, M. Anderson, Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching, 3rd. Edition, (2011), Oxford University Press.
- B. Laufer, The Lexical Profile fo Second Language Writing, RELC Journal. 25 (1994) 21 -33.
- B. Laufer, Z. Goldstein, Testing Vocabulary Knowledge Size, Strength and Computer Addictiveness, Language Learning, 54 (2004) 399 – 436.
- B.Laufer, P. Nation, Vocabulary size and use: Lexical richness in L2 written production, Applied Linguistics, 16 (1995) 307-322.
- B. Laufer, T.S. Paribakht, Relationship between passive and active vocabularies: Effects of Language Learning Context, LanguageLearning,48 (1998) 365-391.
- B. Laufer, C. Elder, K. Hill, P. Congdon, Size and strength: Do we need both to measure vocabulary knowledge, Language Testing, 21 (2004) 202-226.
- B. Laufer, Y. Vano, Understanding unfamiliar words in a text: Do L2 learners understand how much they don’t understand?, Reading in a Foreign Language, 13 (2001) 549-566.
- S.H. Lee, ESL learners’ vocabulary use in writing and the effects of explicit vocabulary instruction, System, Elsevier, 31 (2003) 537-561.
- Leki, A. Cumming, T. Silva, A Synthesis of Research on Second Language Writing in English, (2008), Rutledge.
- M. Linnarud, Lexis in composition : a performance analysis of Swedish learners' written English, (1986), Lund : Gleerup.
- Y.K. Min, Vocabulary Acquisition: practical strategies for ESL students, Journal of International Students, 3 (2013) 64 – 69.
- A.A. Mokhtar, R.M. Rawian, M.F. Yahaya, A. Abdullah, Vocabulary Learning Strategies of Adult ESL Learners, The English Teacher, 38 (2010) 135 – 145.
- L. Morris, T. Cobb, Vocabulary profile as a predictors of the academic performance of teaching English as a second language trainees, System, Elsevier, 32 (2004) 75-87.
- I.S.P. Nation, Teaching and learning vocabulary, Scientific Research Publishing, (1990), New York: Newbury House.
- I.S.P. Nation, Learning vocabulary in another language, (2001), Cambridge University Press.
- T.L. Neo, Lexis in composition of ESL in a selected university college in Nilai Malaysia, PhD thesis University Putra Malaysia, (2009)
- H.M. Omar, B.L. Sui Ngo, S.B.H. Jamil, Assisting Pre-University ESL Learners to Gain Control of the Report Writing Based on Graphical Data: A Genre-based Approach, Journal of Education and Practice, 4 (2013) 19 -29.
- D.D. Qian, Investigating the relationship between vocabulary knowledge and academic reading performance: An Assessment Perspective, Language Learning,52 (2002) 513-536.
- N. Schmitt, D. Schmitt, C. Clapham, Developing and exploring the behavior of new versions of the Vocabulary Levels Test, Language Testing 18 (2001) 55-88.
- Usman, Vocabulary Knowledge and the Overall Report Writing Quality Lap Lambert Academic Publishing Germany (2015).