Effects of Urban Transformation on Transportation Infrastructure: Goztepe Transformation Area Example
- Urban transformation,
Copyright (c) 2020 IOR Press
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Cities are the settlements they form as living spaces of societies and they are not just structures; the same people are born, breathe, grow and thrive. While the cities are growing, their structures are unable to carry the density of the population due to deterioration in time. Urban transformation projects have emerged as a response to this need. However, it is seen that there are some problems and deficiencies when the issue of existing land use and transportation network factors for renewal of the problematic places of the cities is examined in parallel with the changes. If these problems are not prevented, it will not be possible to leave quality, reliable and sustainable cities for years to come. Non-sustainable transportation and land-use decisions in fast-growing urban areas are not effective in solving transportation problems. Point solutions against transportation problems are not permanent in the long term and cause problems after a short period of time. Therefore, the effect of the transformations on the transportation and land use factors are evaluated together. In this study, it is emphasized that the land use and transportation factor should be handled based on Göztepe District of Bağcılar district which is in the process of transformation under the law no 6306.
- Ataov, A., and Osmay, S., (2007). “Methodological Approach to Urban Transformation in Turkey”. Metu, 24(2), 57-82.
- Aktan Aktuglu, E., (2006). “Approaches to Urban Form - Transportation Interaction (Historical and Current) and Istanbul Case”. PhD Thesis, Yildiz Technical University, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Istanbul.
- Aydinli, H.I., and Kaya, A., (2013). “Problem Areas in Turkey with the Urban Renewal Application Examples Judgments”. Afyon Kocatepe University İİBF Journal, 15(2), 449-468.
- Boyraz, Z., and Hos, B.Y., (2013). “Urban Transformation Practices in Turkey”. Journal of World of Turks, 6(3), 45-63.
- Budak, B., (2007). “Gentrification in the Context of Urban Renewal Process: Example of Fener Balat”. Master Thesis, M.S.G.S.U., Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Istanbul.
- Dayioglu, O., (2006). “Transformation Projects in Urban Development: Definition of Process and Actors, The Case of Zeytinburnu”. Master Thesis, Istanbul Technical University, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Istanbul.
- Dukkanci, U., (2013). “Investigation of Urban Development and Transformation Process of the current legal-administrative Size in Turkey”. Master Thesis, Yildiz Technical University, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Istanbul.
- Erdal, N., (2010). “Determination of User Satisfaction in Urban Renewal Applications: Kucukcekmece Ayazma Renewal Application”. Master Thesis, Istanbul Technical University, Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Istanbul.
- Ergun, C., and Gul, H., (2010). “Urban Transformation Projects in the Process of Violation of the Right to Housing”. National Symposium on Social Rights.
- Ewing, R., Haliyur, P., and Page, G.W., (1994). “Getting Around a Traditional City, a Suburban Planned Unit Development, and Everything in Between”. Transportation Research Record, 1466, 53-62.
- Gercek, H., (1996). “Bosphorus Crossings Depending on Land Use Scenarios within the framework of Istanbul Transportation Master Plan”. First National Transportation Symposium, Istanbul: General Directorate of IETT Enterprises.
- Gilat M., and Sussman J.M., (2002). “Coordinating Transportation and Land Use Planning in the Developing World: The Case of Mexico City”. Massachusetts.
- Giuliano, G., (1989). “New Directions For Understanding Transportation and Land Use”. Environment and Planning A, 21, 145-159.
- Greenwald M.J., and Boarnet M.G., (2001). “Built environment as determinant of walking behavior: Analyzing nonwork pedestrian travel in Portland, Oregon”. Transportation Research Record, 1780, 33-42.
- Gunes, İ., (2013). “An International Perspective on Urban Transformation in the World”. Journal of Union of Municipalities of Marmara, 81, 32-37.
- Jones, P. and Evans, J., (2008). “Urban Regeneration in the UK: Theory and Practice”. UK: SAGE.
- Kara, G., (2007). “Urban Transformation Applications”. Ankara: TMMOB Chamber of Surveying and Cadastre Engineers II. Turkey Scientific and Technical Conference.
- Keles, R., (2012). “Urbanization Policy”. Ankara: İmge Publishing.
- Khisty, C.J. and Lall, B.K., (2003). “Transportation Engineering: An Introduction”. Prentice Hall.
- Kurtulus, H., (2006). “Looking at Urban Transformation from the Collapse of Modern Urban Myth”. Planlama Journal, 36, 7-11.
- Ozden, P., (2006). “Applicability Thoughts on Urban Transformation in Turkey”. Istanbul University Journal of Political Sciences, 35, 215-233.
- Roberts P., and Sykes H., (2000). “Urban Regeneration”. London, Thousand Oaks, New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Sisman, A., ve Kibaroglu, D., (2009). “Urban Transformation Practices in Turkey”. Chamber of Survey and Cadastre Engineers 12. Turkey Scientific and Technical Conference.
- Vernez-Moudon, A., Cail, M., Pergakes, N., Forsyth, C., and Lillard, L., (2003). “Strategies and Tools to Implement Transportation-Efficient Development: A Reference Manual”. Phase 2 of Integrating Land Use and Transportation Investment Decision Making. Washington State Transportation Center (TRAC), University of Washington.
- Vuchic, V.R., (1981). “Urban Public Transportation Systems”. Prentice-Hall, INC. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, U.S.
- Wegener, M., (1995). “Current and future land use models”. In: Travel Model Improvement Program Land Use Modeling Conference Proceedings (G.A. Shunk, P.L. Bass, C.A. Weatherby, L.J. Engelke, eds.), 13-40. US Department of Transportation, Washington, DC
- URL-1: www.pref.hiroshima.lg.jp (Date of access: 04.02.2019)
- URL-2: www.kentseldonusumhaberleri.com (Date of access: 05.01.2019)
- URL-3: www.worldhabitatawards.org (Date of access: 12.03.2019)
- URL-4:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HiroshimaNakajimaArea.jpg (Date of access: 15.05.2019)