Fundraising and Budgeting Practices for SMEs
Copyright (c) 2020 IOR Press
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
SMEs need to cultivate the spirit of budgeting irrespective of size and type of firm. This study discusses; fundraising techniques SMEs can adopt, outlines avenues for shopping money and details essential budgets that businesses can practice in order to compare, control, review, grow and measure performance periodically. The projected or budgeted statement of financial position is recommended for SMEs that intend to grow faster and compete with big (large) enterprises. Through qualitative research approach, data was extracted with the aid of search tool based on strata of keywords centered on the topic. The study lightens; entrepreneurs, investors and management spirit on the different fundraising techniques and avenues. For successful fundraising and budgeting practices, SMEs should adhere to sound and observable guidelines in order to be successful, sustainable, competitive, and to grow to big enterprises.
- Akande, O.O., & Oluwaseun, Y. (2014). Influence of budgeting system on Entrepreneurial Business performance: perspective of Small business Owner in Lagos state Nigeria, IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 16 (6): pp. 58-64.
- Bryman, A. (2016). Social Research Methods. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Clarke, H. (2012). Fundraising for SMEs. Retrieved from https://app.croneri.co.uk/featurearticles/fundraising-smes.
- Dima, L.C. (2013). Industrial Production Management in Flexible Manufacturing Systems. Pennsylvania: IGI Global.
- Hallsworth, R. (2015). The Importance of Budgeting for SMEs. Retrieved from http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2014/09/importance-budgeting-smes.
- Hill, B. (2015). How can a budget facilitate communication within an organization? Retrieved from: http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/can-budget-facilitate-communication-within-organization-27082.html.
- Hoque M.Z., & Ulku, N. (2017). Mental Budgeting and the Financial Management of Small and Medium Entrepreneurs, Cogent Economics & Finance, 5:1. DOI:10.1080/23322039.2017.1291474.
- Jindrichovska I. (2013). Financial Management in SMEs. European Research Studies, Volume XVI, Special Issue on SMEs. Retrieved from https://www.ersj.eu/repec/ers/papers/13_4_p7.pdf
- Kelly, J.E., (2015). Bookkeeping and Accounting All-in-One For Dummies – UK. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Liapis, K.J. (2010). The Residual Value Models: A Framework for Business Administration. European Research Studies, Vol. XII. Issue 3.
- Maduekwe C.C., and Kamala P. (2016). The use of Budgets by Small and Medium Enterprises in Cape Metropolis, South Africa. Problems and Perspectives in Management, 14(1-1), 183-191. doi:10.21511/ppm.14(1-1).2016.06.
- Merchant, K.A., & Manzoni, J.F., (1989). The achievability of Budget targets in Profit Centers: a field study, Accounting Review, Vol. 64 No. 3, pp.539-558.
- Nso, M. A. (2016). Introduction to General Accounting- an Illustrative text, Buea: Quality Printer
- Nso M. (2018). The Role of SBEC, Fund Raising and Budgeting Practices for SMEs, SBEC Small Business Forum Presentation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7674NbHpFYs
- Nso. M. A. (2018). Cash Management Techniques and the Relationship between Cash Management and Profitability of Microfinance Institutions. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, Vol. VI, Issue 5. Retrieved from http://ijecm.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/6532.pdf.
- Nso, M. A. (2018). Principles of Business Finance. Saarbrucken: LAP
- Warue, B. N., and Wanjira, T. V. (2013). Assessing Budgeting Process in Small and Medium Enterprises in Nairobi’s Central Business District: A Case of Hospitality Industry. International Journal of Information Technology and Business Management, Vol.17 No.1. Retrieved from https://www.jitbm.com/17th%20Volume/1%20Business%20&%20Economics.pdf
- World Bank. (2013). The little data book on private sector development. Washington: World Bank.
- World Bank. (2014). The Big Business of Small Enterprises- Evaluation of the World Bank Group Experience With targeted Support to Small and medium-Size Enterprises 2006 –12. Washington: World Bank.
- Zor, U., Linder, S., Endenich, C. (2018). CEO Characteristics and Budgeting Practices in Emerging Market SMEs. JSBM. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsbm.12438