The Application of Biotechnology in the Synthesis of Metal/Metal Oxides Nanoparticles: Review
- Metal/Metal oxide
Copyright (c) 2019 IOR PRESS
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This paper is aimed at reviewing the application of biological extracts from plants, fungi and bacteria in the synthesis of metal/metal oxide nanoparticles with reference to Ag and TiO2 nanoparticles as a case study. The procedures for the extraction of the biological extracts as well as the chemical instrumentation analysis of the extracts and metal/metal oxide nanoparticles were explained in this review. It was reported that standard chemical test confirms the presence of tannins, alkanoids, flavonoids and terpenoids in various plant extracts, while FTIR characterization of various biological extracts confirms the presence of organic compounds as a capping and reducing agents in the biosynthetic process for the preparation of the nanoparticles. The use of other instrumental techniques such as FESEM, XRD, SEM, EDX, TEM and UV-Visible spectroscopy in the characterization of biosynthesized metal/metal oxide nanoparticles were also explained in this review.
- M. Sundrarajan, S. Gowri, Green Synthesis of Titanium Dioxide Nanoaparticles by Nyctanathes Arbor-Tristis Leaves Extract, Chalcogenide Letters, 8 (2011) 447-451.
- T. Santhoshkumar, A.A. Rahuman, C. Jayaseelan, G. Rajakumar, S. Marimuthu, A.V. Kirthi, K. Velayutham, J. John Thomas, J. Venkatesan, Se-Kwon Kim, Green synthesis of titanium dioxide nanoparticles using Psidium guajava extract and its antibacterial and antioxidant properties, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 7(2014) 968-976.
- A.A Zahir, I.S Chauhan, A. Bagavan, C. Kamaraj, G. Elango, J. Shankar, N. Arjaria, S.M. Roopan, A.A. Rahuman, N. Singh, Green synthesis of silver and titanium dioxide nanoparticles using Euphorbia prostrata extract shows shift from apoptosis to G0/G1 arrest followed by necrotic cell death in Leishmania donovani, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 8 (2015) 4782-4799.
- G. Rajakumar, A. Abdul Rahuman, B. Priyamvada, V. Gopiesh Khanna, D. Kishore Kumar, P.J. Sujin, Eclipta prostrata leaf aqueous extract mediated synthesis of titanium dioxide nanoparticles, Materials Letters, 68 (2012) 115-117.
- R. Dobrucka, The biological synthesis of anatase titanium dioxide nanoparticles using Arnicae anthodium extract, Bulgarian Chemical Communications, 49 (2017) 595 – 599.
- D.H. Raghad, A. Abdul Jalill, R.S. Nuaman, A.N. Abd, Biological synthesis of Titanium Dioxide nanoparticles by Curcuma longa plant extract and study its biological properties, WSN, 49 (2016) 204-222.
- A. Umer, S. Naveed, N. Ramzan, M. S. Rafique, Selection of Suitable Method for the Synthesis of Copper Nanoparticles. NANO: Brief Reports and Reviews, 7 (2012) 1-18.
- E. Rodríguez-León, R. Iñiguez-Palomares, R.E. Navarro, R. Herrera-Urbina, and J. Tánori, C. Iñiguez-Palomares, A. Maldonado, Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using reducing agents obtained from natural sources (Rumex hymenosepalus extracts), Nanoscale Research Letters, 8 (2013) 1-9.
- H.R. Ghorbani, A.A. Safekordi, H. Attar, and S.M.R. Sorkhabadi, Biological and Non-biological Methods for Silver Nanoparticles Synthesis, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 25 (2011) 317-326.
- V.G. Pozzato, A.G. Pereira, L.G.L. Gerolis, L.S. Gonçalves, T.A. Pedrosa, M.J. Neves, Gadolinium Nanoparticles: Chemical Synthesis and Biogenic Synthesis by Saccharomyces cerevisiae, 23rd Congress of the International Union for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 44th Annual Meeting of the Brazilian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, (2015) Foz do Iguaçu, PR, Brazil.
- S. Kandasamy, R.S. Prema, Methods of synthesis of nano particles and its applications, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 7 (2015) 278-285.
- H. Rafiee, F. Serri, S. Yari, M. Pourghadir, V. Abdousi, A review: Silver Nanoparticles Synthesis through plants in comparison with chemical and biological methods, Fire Journal of Engineering and Technology, 1(2015) 46-50.
- V. Dhand, L. Soumya, S. Bharadwaj, S. Chakra, D. Bhatt, B. Sreedhar, Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Coffea arabica seed extract and its antibacterial activity. Materials Science and Engineering C, 58 (2016) 36-43.
- A. Chatterjee, D. Nishanthini, N. Sandhiya, A. Jayanthi, Biosynthesis of Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Using Vigna Radaita, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 9(2016) 85-88
- A.G. Ingale, A.N. Chaudhari, Biogenic Synthesis of Nanoparticles and Potential Applications: An Eco-Friendly Approach, Journal of Nanomedicine & Nanotechnology, 4 (2013) 165.
- P. Logeswari, S. Silambarasan, J. Abraham, Ecofriendly synthesis of silver nanoparticles from commercially available plant powders and their antibacterial properties, Scientia Iranica, 20 (2013) 1049-1054.
- S.G. Subramanyam, k. Siva, Bio-Synthesis, Characterization and Application of Titanium Oxide Nanoparticles by Fusarium oxysporum, International Journal of Life Sciences Research, 4 (2016) 69-75.
- N.A. Órdenes-Aenishanslins, L.A. Saona, M.D. Durán-Toro, J.P. Monrás, D.M. Bravo, J.M. Pérez-Donoso, Use of titanium dioxide nanoparticles biosynthesized by Bacillus mycoides in quantum dot sensitized solar cells, Microbial Cell Factories, 13 (2014) 90.
- T. Panigrahi, (2013)Synthesis and Charactierization of Silver Nanoparticles using Leaf Extract of Azadirachta indica, Master Thesis, National Institute of Technology Rourkela-769008, Orissa, India.